Saturday night the final of the fifth edition of ‘The International’ was held in Seattle. With $18,4 million, the Defense of the Ancients 2 (DotA2) tournament is the most endowed eSports contest in the world. The contest winners, American team Evil Geniuses (EG), won a total of 6,6 million USD in prize money.

The US-team, whose youngest member is only 16 years old, beat the Chinese team CDEC Gaming. The latter took home 2,8 million USD for winning second place. Also from China, LDG and Vici gaming won third and fourth place, collecting 2,2 and 1,5 million USD.

Final placements and prize money of ‘The International 2015’
PlacePrize moneyTeam
1.6.634.660 $Evil Geniuses (USA)
2.2.856.590 $CDEC Gaming (China) $LGD Gaming (China)
4.1.566.517 $Vici Gaming (China)
5.- $EHOME (China)
5.- $ (Russia)
7.-8.829.332 $MVP Phoenix (South Korea)
7.-8.829.332 $Team Secret (Europe)
9.-12.221.155 $Team Empire (Russia)
9.-12.221.155 $Cloud9 (USA)
9.-12.221.155 $complexity Gaming (USA)
9.-12.221.155 $Invictus Gaming (China)
13.-16.55.288 $Newbee (China)
13.-16.55.288 $Natus Vincere (Ukraine)
13.-16.55.288 $Fnatic (Europe)
13.-16.55.288 $MVP HOT6ix (South Korea)

Prize pool record thanks to DotA2-community

Thanks to the DotA2-community it was possible to collect the record sum of 18,4 million USD. Publisher and organizer VALVE tendered 1,6 million USD, while 16,8 million USD were given by ingame-purchases of the DotA2 community.

The so-called ‘compendium’ which, depending on sales, unlocks new game content was available to all players. The cost for the normal version was $9.99, the premium version was available for $26.99. 25% of the sales were used as prize money, the remaining 75%, around 50,4 million USD, went to VALVE.

Prize pool development of ‘The International 2015’ since May 3, 2015:
The International 2015 Preisgeldentwicklung

In eSports, ‘The International’ is creating new records every year. While the prize money was only 1.6 million USD in 2011 and 2012, it rose to 2.8 million USD in 2013. Last year, the best teams in the world played for a grand total of around 11 million USD. Regarding the prize money payouts, ‘The International’ is the world’s leading eSports-event.

Not even eSports-giant League of Legends can compete with these numbers. The maximum amount of prize money for a League of Legends tournament was awarded in the 2014’s world cup, where players played for 2,1 million USD.

However, all the participants in the League of Legends championship series (LCS), whose top teams are qualifying for the world cup, are receiving a fixed salary by league operator RIOT games. Per season, which is almost three months, the salary is $12.500. With up to three seasons per year and approximately 240 players, bonuses around $9 million would be added. In 2014, the grand total of bonuses, premiums and prize money is estimated to be up to 11,1 million USD.

The most highly endowed eSports-tournaments
EventGamePrize money
The International 2015Defense of the Ancients (DotA2)18.416.970 $
The International 2014Defense of the Ancients (DotA2)10.931.103 $
Dota 2 Asia Championships 2015Defense of the Ancients (DotA2)3.057.521 $
The International 2013Defense of the Ancients (DotA2)2.874.521 $
Smite World Championship 2015SMITE2.612.259 $
League of Legends Weltmeisterschaft 2014League of Legends2.130.000 $
League of Legends Weltmeisterschaft 2013League of Legends2.050.000 $
League of Legends Weltmeisterschaft 2012League of Legends1.970.000 $
The International 2011Defense of the Ancients (DotA2)1.600.000 $
The International 2012Defense of the Ancients (DotA2)1.600.000 $

What will be interesting to see is how the prize money and its amount will develop in the upcoming years. According to market research institute Newzoo, the total of prize money in the eSports-business is going to be 71 million USD. Last year the sum was only 36 million USD, in comparison.


Get the latest news and stories regarding marketing, sponsoring, advertising and investments in eSports.

[button type=”bd_button btn_large” url=”” target=”on” button_color_fon=”#ff1a1a” button_text_color=”#ffffff” ]SUBSCRIBE[/button]