Parks Associates today announced new research on the rise of esports, showing 10% of U.S. broadband households are watching this new form of content. Parks Associates’ new industry report Digital Natives: The Rise of Esports and the 360 Deep Dive Sports vs. Esports: Audience, Spending, and Consumption define esports as professionally or semi-professionally organized competitive video gaming events, including popular gaming titles such as “League of Legends,” “Call of Duty,” and “Street Fighter.”
“Esports is a young, dynamic, and fast-growing industry. While viewership of many traditional sports is waning, esports is well positioned to capture the attention of a generation that grew up playing video games. Today, 62% of U.S. broadband households play video games at least one hour per week,” said Hunter Sappington, Research Analyst, Parks Associates. “Esports is currently a niche market, but it has the ability to engage often hard-to-reach demographics.”
The international research firm notes the esports audience is typically younger male gamers under 35 with a tendency to be on the cutting edge of technology and trends. Esports viewers spend more than twice as much money per month on non-pay-TV video entertainment content than non-viewers, with a monthly average expenditure of $47.23 compared to $22.97.
“For distributors, including pay-TV providers, OTT services, and social media platforms, esports represents an opportunity to complement existing content and grow the viewing audience,” Sappington said. “By participating in this market during its formative stage, pay-TV providers, networks, and other ecosystem players can influence the trajectory of the market and secure content rights to key events.”
The research report and consumer research examine the esports audience, including the size, habits, and factors that drive viewership, and things that make them different from non-esports viewers. Additional data includes:
- YouTube and Twitch.tv are the two most popular sites used to watch esports, with 61% of viewers saying that they watch on YouTube and 45% using Twitch. More than one-half of viewers use more than one platform to watch esports.
- 41% of esports viewers say that they would be likely or very likely to pay for a subscription to watch esports events and content, and 39% of esports viewers are likely or very likely to pay to watch esports on a per-game or per-event basis.
- Computers are the most popular device category used to watch esports—67% of viewers use computers to watch esports, followed by 45% using TVs and 34% using a smartphone.
- PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds Achieves More Than Four Hundred Million Total Player…
- ESL One Belo Horizonte powered by Intel welcomes 11,500 fans on each main event da…
- Juniper Research: Loot Boxes & Skins Gambling to Generate a $50 Billion Indus…
- Emerson College Survey: Esports as Bridge Between US and China
- ESL and Intel Welcomed 169,000 Fans Across Two Weekends of World Class Esports in …
- New Research from Limelight Networks Shows Traditional Sports Viewership is at Ris…
- Nordic Esports Audience Growth at a Standstill, But Engagement Grows
- Stage 1 of the Overwatch League Brings Franchises Enormous Social Media Growth; +5…
- The ELEAGUE Major: Boston Delivers All-Time Records
- Overwatch League™ Opening Week Draws More Than 10 Million Viewers
About Parks Associates
Parks Associates is an internationally recognized market research and consulting company specializing in emerging consumer technology products and services. Founded in 1986, Parks Associates creates research capital for companies ranging from Fortune 500 to small start-ups through market reports, primary studies, consumer research, custom research, workshops, executive conferences, and annual service subscriptions. The company’s expertise includes digital media and platforms, entertainment and gaming, home networks, Internet and television services, digital health, mobile applications and services, support services, consumer apps, advanced advertising, consumer electronics, energy management, and home control systems and security.
Each year, Parks Associates hosts industry webcasts, the CONNECTIONS™ Conference Series, Connected Health Summit: Engaging Consumers, and Smart Energy Summit: Engaging the Consumer. http://www.parksassociates.com
(Image) Source: Press release