MTG has funded 11 fast-growing companies that bring strategic value to the Group’s owned and operated esports and online gaming businesses. This makes MTG one of the most active investors in the gaming sector, with a broad portfolio of content, tools and live experiences.
Launched in November 2017, MTG’s USD 30 million VC fund is targeting minority investments in 5 to 10 innovative companies a year.
Jørgen Madsen Lindemann, MTG’s President & CEO: “MTG has proven to be an attractive partner for young companies that recognise our values-driven entrepreneurial culture. With a rich history in multi-platform storytelling – and having operated a robust media business that has consistently outpaced the industry – we offer entrepreneurs a meaningful partnership and synergy benefits.”
Arnd Benninghoff, MTG Games and Esports: “The gaming ecosystem is made up of many platforms, titles, publishers, leagues, teams, influencers and tech, and MTG is assembling the most promising players in this sector under one roof. Our portfolio of international companies strikes a healthy balance between established and high-potential companies that are turning their passion into successful business.”
MTG’s portfolio of gaming investees includes:
- BITKRAFT Esports Ventures, the first dedicated early stage investor in esports startups.
- Play Ventures, a VC fund that invests in games and game services start-ups.
- AppOnboard, a demo platform for developers, that enables mobile users to experience apps without downloading them. This technology now powers the ‘Try Now’ button on Google Play.
- Nomadic, a VR company that provides location-based virtual reality experiences. Nomadic’s first VR center has opened in Orlando, Florida, and offers an immersive, tactile adaptation of “Arizona Sunshine” arcade.
- Phoenix Labs, a game studio that creates original AAA multiplayer titles like Dauntless.
- Playfull, an ad platform that connects advertisers and gamers based on geo-targeting.
- Boom, a leading esports entertainment platform, that connects influencers and communities.
MTG has also made smaller investments in companies like Runtime, a performance nutrition company in gaming and esports; Blitz, an esports learning app; Volley, the leader in voice-controlled games for smart speaker platforms like Amazon Echo and Google Home; and Mobcrush, a live streaming solution that helps gamers broadcast, monetise and connect with fans, no matter what social platform they use.
In 2018, MTG was ranked* as one of the most active investors in the esports sector. Goldman Sachs has reported** that esports investors will benefit from the transition of competitive gaming to a professional sport with well-established leagues that capitalise on original content, media rights and sponsorship deals.
More esports investments content:
- Mobalytics Raises $11.25M Series A to Build World’s Best Personal Gaming Ass…
- FaZe Clan Reveals $40 Million Series A Details
- Bit Fry Game Studios Secures $3.5 Million Investment from Game Venture Funds, BITK…
- Allied Esports Entertainment Announces $5 Million Investment by Leading Real Estat…
- Pixion Games Raises $2M in Seed Funding to Develop Mobile Esports Games for Everyo…
- GFR Fund Opens New $20M Investment Fund for Tech Startups Disrupting Digital Media…
- Enthusiast Gaming Acquires Significant Interest in Waveform Entertainment, a Leadi…
- G-Loot Secures $25M in One of Europe’s Largest Ever Esports Investments
- Tonk Tonk Games Raises $2 Million in Seed Funding Led by BITKRAFT Esports Ventures
- ICON Acquires Leading Esports Firm Tainted Minds
(Image) Source: Press release