Two weeks ago, the Game Developers Conference (GDC) took place at the Moscone Center in San Francisco, CA. Since eSports experienced a tremendous growth in the last couple of years, it comes as no surprise that a large part of the panels and lectures dealt with the eSports market and associated topics.
One of the speakers was Patrick Walker, VP Insights and Analytics at EEDAR, who already contributed a great piece of content within our expert roundup at the end of last year. At GDC, Patrick talked about ‘Understanding Engagement in the Rapidly Expanding Gaming Universe‘ including insights regarding eSports audience, eSports prize money and eSports tournaments.
Below you can find four keyfacts from the EEDAR presentation by Patrick Walker at GDC 2016:
1. MOBA has grown rapidly in past 3 years
2. eSports tournaments prize pools are growing rapidly
3. Players are funding the prize pool growth
4. eSports audience is a valuable consumer base
Data in this post was originally presented by the market research company EEDAR at GDC 2016. More information about EEDAR’s services can be found at www.eedar.com.
- eSports in 2015 by the numbers: Attendance figures, investments and prize money
- 27 experts share their thoughts on the rise of eSports and its future in 2016
- Understanding Engagement in the Rapidly Expanding Gaming Universe – eedar.com
— eSportsMarketingBlog (@eSportsMBlog) April 6, 2016